Volunteering or giving back to your community can help you and your community.
People may often ask how would volunteering help me?
Here are some reasons:
1. You are giving of yourself and helping others in need. (This can often make you feel good about yourself whether you realize it or not.)
2. You meet new people. Networking in any fashion is always good.
3. You may learn new skills.
4. You might experience "ah-hah" moment seeing all the blessings in your life.
5. Many college programs or future careers require so may "volunteer hours" before applying because this helps you confirm you are applying to a program best for you. Ex: Physician, Physical Therapy etc.